Friday, February 22, 2013

Guest Post: Rena Fruchter - Procrastination


So…my next book is due in eight months.  The sequel to this one.

That’s PLENTY of time.  More than enough time to write a book or two.

Let me first take care of the 2,427 emails that have piled up in my Inbox.  Not to mention the mail and bills that are all over the dining room table, with nobody else taking care of them. 

Well, I can certainly spare a couple of weeks, right?

Very important to get things organized first, before plunging into the next book.

My clothes are all over the place.  What?  These clothes aren’t even the right season.  All I have to do is pull out the drawers filled with summer stuff and replace them with winter stuff.

Really…I only need six months to write this book.  I can do it.  I’ve only got two trips to make during that time, two big events that need planning, and a few other projects.

OKAY.  Got to start.  Today.  Should I start at the beginning? Or plunge right into the middle of the book.  Maybe Chapter 23 would be good.  I know what’s going to happen in the middle.  I can always go back to the beginning later.  Then it won’t read like I started at the beginning and it got better later in the book.

I think I’ll have to start tomorrow. I just need to get another dog first.  My dog is lonely.  She really needs a companion.  I’m sure my husband won’t mind.  Well, it might take a little of the time I really need to work on the book, but the new dog can keep my old one company while I’m ignoring them both, locked in my study working on the book.

Argh.  Can’t move into the study just yet.  All my notes from the last book are still taped to the walls, with scribbling all over them.  And the various drafts of the cover, so I could look at them for a few days before deciding which worked best.  Admittedly that was months ago.  All I need to do is go to the store and pick up a couple of plastic storage boxes for all the old notes from the last book.

After I go to the pet store and see if the perfect dog is there.

Do I really need more than five months to write this book?

I’ll write one sentence first! Then at least I will have started this book. 

But what if it’s the world’s worst sentence, as bad as “It was a dark and stormy night.”

Best to wait one more day so I can think of a really good sentence!

No comments:

Post a Comment