Monday, September 20, 2010

Review - The Book of Unholy Mischief

I saw this book at my local bookstore a while back and added it to my to-be-read pile.  When the chance came to get a copy to read and review, I was excited.  I can say that I wasn't let down.

I really enjoyed this story and found the book to be well written.  The descriptions took me into the story so that I was "seeing" everything as Luciano was telling it.  I think that Ms. Newmark brought these characters and this time to life for me.

I found it interesting how she wove the theme of hidden knowledge into the story.  It made me wonder about knowledge that has been lost over time both before it was written down or because people were afraid of it.  Using cooking to pass knowledge on is a unique twist on the secret society theme.

I look forward to reading more of Ms. Newmark's work.

I obtained this book from the publisher, Washington Square Press.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my book, and thank you for the lovely review. I'm glad also to know that it made you think about knowledge. Many people get so caught up in the story and the feeling of being in Renaissance Venice that they sometimes miss the point. The chef in the book voices my opinion when he says, "Knowledge is a stepping stone to wisdom."
    Elle Newmark

    ReplyDelete